I am Linda Munro and I would like to be your next school trustee.
I am running for School Trustee to serve on the Board of Education for North Vancouver School District.
The by-election is on May 29.
Advance voting is available on May 19 & 24.
I know NVSD as both a student and a parent.
Growing up in the Capilano-Highlands neighbourhood, I attended Montroyal Elementary School and Handsworth Secondary School. Teachers and my peers inspired me to set goals and aim high. I gained first-hand experience of many learning enrichment programs in NVSD, including learning assistance support, music programs, student leadership programs and travel opportunities. I supported fellow students as a peer tutor and peer counsellor.
Following university (B.A. from Queen’s University, M.A. from Western University), I established my career in journalism and public relations through work opportunities in India, Thailand and the UK.
Now living back in North Vancouver, my husband and I are raising our two children in Lynn Valley. My children attended Lynn Valley Parent Participation Preschool and I was President for two of the four years my children attended the school. This deep involvement in their preschool education showed me how formative an early years education can be and how important it is to ensure our primary school teachers have the right educational resources.
I served on the Board of Trustees for North Vancouver District Public Library from 2014-2018 and as Vice Chair for two of those years. I acted as a community liaison for the library, contributed to good governance and contributed to the decision to build NVDPL’s new StoryLab @ NVDPL .
Today our kids attend Ecole Ross Road School and Argyle Secondary School and have benefitted from learning assistance support, an individual education plan and programs for Indigenous students.
I am fortunate to work in the District of North Vancouver as a Senior Communications Officer at Capilano University. I see the partnerships between NVSD and Capilano University and how they improve learning opportunities for students. I want to be part of building and strengthening strong community partner relationships for NVSD.
Accomplishment: 2018 Winner of the Good Neighbour Award from Lynn Valley Life
Through work and community service, I have supported students from the early years to post-secondary school:
- Attendee, Strong Start, Boundary Elementary
- President, Lynn Valley Parent Participation Preschool
- PAC Chair, Ecole Ross Road School
- Attendee, North Vancouver PAC events
- Participant, NVSD 10-year strategic planning session for community stakeholders
- Assistant, Social media for Argyle PAC
- Senior Communications Officer, Capilano University
An active contributor, I step up, get involved and support community organizations:
- Volunteer, Strachan Hartley Legacy Foundation
- Treasurer, Girl Guides of Canada (2016-2019)
- Trustee & Vice Chair, North Vancouver District Public Library (2015-2018)
- Member, Vancouver Speakers Bureau for Unicef (2004-2005)
- Board member, Capilano Community Services Society (2004-2006)
- Chair, Community Relations Committee, Capilano Community Services Society (2004-2006)
- Volunteer, North Shore Multicultural Society (1998)
I want to represent you as your next school trustee to help further connect parents, community members and schools to support learning outcomes for students.
May 16, 2021 North Shore News: Letter: Let’s not forget there’s a school trustee by-election this month in North Vancouver
May 2, 2021 North Shore Daily Post: Linda Munro: Strengthening education, building community
April 23, 2021: North Shore News: Here’s who’s running for North Vancouver school board